This workshop forms part of a series of four workshops within the Jean Monnet NOVA-EU project. NOVA-EU aims to stimulate discussion and enhance research into several key challenges. Applications from both junior (PhD or postdoctoral level) and senior researchers, in particular on the following topics:
- What is there to protect? Democracy and the rule of law as common values of the European Union, and the question of (the lack of) common standards;
- Monitoring, peer review, and measuring democracy and the rule of law, in particular with reference to the Commission Rule of Law Reports;
- The use of conditionality as a tool to protect and promote democracy and the rule of law, before and after accession, and the new Regulation ‘on a general regime of conditionality for the protection of the Union budget’
- The role of European and national courts and judges in protecting democracy and the rule of law, as well as the role of new actors (civil society, NGOs, citizens, agencies, etc);
- Possible new paths and initiatives for the protection and promotion of democracy and the rule of law in the EU and the Member States.